R-P Nurseries was established in 1866 by William Rakestraw and
Josiah Pyle as The Rakestraw-Pyle Company (a.k.a. Willowdale Nurseries). Starting out as a bare root tree operation that shipped its trees all over the East coast, we also had greenhouses along Route 82. It was later taken over by Thomas Rakestraw. Over the years, the focus shifted to landscaping and grounds maintenance. In 1984, William Rakestraw's great-great-great nephew, Richard Pratt, along with his wife Kathy, took over the business and renamed it R-P Nurseries.
In late 1984 we opened our Gift Shop, and in 1985 we opened our Garden Center, which is continually expanding. After 150 years, we are still owned and operated by the same family, giving us the distinction of being the oldest family run nursery in the United States!